Classes are taught in English via Zoom & available for anyone anywhere.
CBCT Training February 2021 Series
Week 1 --- February 11 Research/Neuroscience of Compassion Training: Developing Attentional Stability
Week 2 --- February 18 Awareness of the Mind
Weeks 3-5 --- February 25, March 4 & 11 Self Compassion
Week 6 --- March 18 Cultivating Impartiality
Week 7 --- March 25 Appreciation / Affection for Others
Week 8 --- April 1 Empathy & Engaged Compassion
What to Expect from CBCT Classes
This 8-week class combines neuroscience, Western & Buddhist psychology and meditation training with an emphasis on the step-by-step contemplative exercises that anyone can learn in order to further develop empathy and compassion for oneself and others.
Three entire weeks are dedicated to self-compassion as it is a vital step to expanding compassion out toward others.
There are group activities, discussions and slide show presentations in addition to meditations.
It takes time to develop the skills you’ll learn in this program. The eight weeks are barely enough time to learn the concepts and the contemplative meditations in a step-by-step process, therefore a commitment to the class is required. It is not a drop-in class. Attendants are also asked to commit to 10- 15 minutes a day of practice at home.
If you feel you cannot commit that time to the class, it is better to wait and take it when you can devote the time because each week builds on skills learned from the previous week, plus consistent attendance is important for group cohesion and support.
Emory University charges more for this program. Santa Cruz Compassion, which is an affiliate of Emory, has reduced the cost significantly to make it available to more people. Sorry, there are no further reductions available.
Some folks have shared that this meditation training has been life changing. It is different for each person. As with any new skill, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Thus, it largely depends on you. People often report that they feel more connected to themselves and others. Some say that they now live a more open-hearted life.
What You Will Learn
* Expand our awareness and connection to self broadening our resiliency
* Develop essential qualities within yourself to become a compassionate being
* Develop a robust and stable mind
* Practice experiential breathing exercises and meditations to enhance personal development and compassion
* Benefit from practical tools utilizing the breath, awareness and presence
* Gain insights into your nervous system and how to maintain balance within your window of tolerance
* Learn how to maintain safety, security and nurturance in mind and body
* Become more aware of the verbal and non-verbal cues of self and others
* Become more attuned to both the messages from your body and others
* Learn how to unhook from habitual, repetitive or strong emotions that are keeping you stuck
* Enhance compassionate listening skills
* Learn the 7 Pillars of Cognitively Based Compassion
* Learn how to become a witness to genuine compassion in the face of great suffering and transcend our difficulties
* Cultivate compassion and resilience so that we can help alleviate others of their suffering
* Become more effective in working with clients, co-workers, family members, community members
* Nurture compassion for all parts of yourself and others
* Free yourself from unconscious beliefs that run your life
* Connect to yourself in the moment